Thursday, December 29, 2011

Holiday Craftiness

     Now that all of my handmade gifts have been distributed, I can write some blog posts about some of my craftiness! Today I thought I'd share a project that I made using my Silhouette.  
     In my opinion, part of the fun is seeing how it all came together. I started with a 10"X20" blank canvas that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. I painted it a teal color which I knew my gift recipient would like! I then used a clear, glittery paint to carefully make a thin border around the edge as well as made a few "swishy" strokes to give the canvas a little more dimension. 
After that was done, it was time to get my Silhouette busy. I chose some subway art by Echo Park from the Silhouette online store. I did have to edit it just a bit to make it cut better for the size that I needed. 
The most tedious part was peeling away the excess vinyl to leave only the words left. It was a process but listening to some of my favorite Christmas songs passed the time quickly. 
Once the words were clear of the excess vinyl, I used my transfer paper (best invention ever) to lift the words off of the backing to adhere to the canvas.
I had to press carefully and very, very firmly to get the vinyl onto the canvas. It really didn't want to adhere very well because of the paint and the fact that it was canvas so this took patience for sure. The result was exactly what I was hoping for though!
I added a couple of little retro type snowflakes in the corners and then declared it complete! Thankfully, our lack of snow and cold weather allowed me to take a photo outside so that you can get a feel for the true colors of the project. I am happy to say that my gift recipient liked my gift. 
     I made a few other things as well and hope to have a post about those projects soon. I'd love to know what you made for friends and relatives for Christmas! Leave me a comment and a blog link if you have one, I'd love to check it out! 
Scrap Happy~Melissa





1 comment:

  1. Well you know I LOVE this but I may be partial since it currently resides on my living room wall. It's absolutely beautiful and I loved the opportunity to see the process of how it was made.

    ReplyDelete